Common Writing Framework & Vocab:
Teaching Analytical Writing:
Analytical Writing Unit: This video by Mrs. Masters explains how she teaches analytical writing to her students over multiple days.
Analytical Writing Rubric: This video by Mr. Scott show how using a simple rubric and peer evaluation can dramatically improve the ability of students to write analytically.
Strategies We are Trying:
- Art PLT Writing Activity
- Algebra 2 Trig PLT Writing Activity
- Chemistry PLT Writing Activity
- Counseling PLT Writing Activity
- Earth Science PLT Writing Activity
- ELA Upper House PLT Writing Activity
- ELA Upper House PLT Writing Activity (Rubric)
- ELA Lower House PLT Writing Activity
- Global PLT Writing Activity
- Humanities 10 PLT Writing Activity
- Integrated Algebra PLT Writing Activity
- Living PLT Writing Activity (Activity)
- Living PLT Writing Activity (Framework)
- LOTE PLT Writing Activity
- Music PLT Writing Activity
- Physics PLT Writing Activity
- Reading/Support/Library PLT Writing Activity
- Technology PLT Writing Activity
- US History PLT Writing Activity
(More strategies will be posted as they are received and typed up.)
Resources for Teaching Writing:
30 Ideas for Teaching Writing (The National Writing Alliance): This is detailed compendium of 30 easy to implement strategies for teaching writing.
Writing Strategy Guide (by Steve Peha, http://www.ttms.org)- This is an incredible compendium of ideas, worksheets, graphic organizers, and information about improving our ability to teach the writing process.
30 Ideas for Teaching Writing (The National Writing Project – Website) This is an awesome list of thirty different resources for teaching writing. Each one is a hyper link that will take you to a detailed description of the strategy or idea.
Teaching How to Write a Paragraph (You Can Teach Writing – Website) A website full of resources for improving our ability to teach the different components of writing.
Videos of Writing Lessons:
Small Group Writing (The Teaching Channel) A great lesson idea featuring Jennifer Rosenzweig from Bronxville High School. In this video you will see groups of students collaborating on persuasive writing.
Equipping Students for Extended Writing (The Teaching Channel) Natasha Nichols, a teacher in England, shares a great lesson on how to help student develop more complex and longer written responses.