The Timeframe: 45 minutes
The Module Objectives:
- Objective 1 – Evaluate several example lesson plans targeting one of the 4 C’s.
- Objective 2 – Develop an activity to be used in class leveraging the target skill.
- Objective 3 – Evaluate the lesson based on the NYSUT Rubric.
1) Read: Click the link below to download a PDF file containing examples of how to embed Collaboration into instruction in a wide range of content areas (these exemplars come from the http://www.p21.org curriculum maps).
- Click here = 21st CLS – Critical Thinking Skill Exemplar Synopsis
2) Reflect: Consider the following two questions and jot down your responses on paper.
- Identify one new idea that made you think based on the information related to your content area.
- Identify one interdisciplinary idea you gleaned from the information related to a different content area.
3) Plan: Develop a lesson plan or activity leveraging the 21st Century Skill you have been learning about.
4) Evaluate: With a colleague, share your responses to the following two discussion prompts.
- Analyze the quality of your lesson plan based on the NYSUT Rubric (use the Cheat Sheet).
- Identify evidence from at 2-3 NYSUT Rubric indicators that indicate your planned lesson would receive an “Effective” or “Highly Effective” rating.
5) Post: In the comment section below, post your responses to the following three questions.
- Write the MVP (most valuable point) from today’s learning.
- Describe the lesson you have planned.
- Identify the indicators from the NYSUT Rubric it addresses.
Optional Extension Activities:
- Develop a lesson the integrates multiple 21st Century Learning Skills.
- Collaborate with a colleague to plan a lesson the requires groups of students from different classes to work interdependently.
More Examples: Click here for links to all the P21 curriculum maps for each content area. Each map has dozens of examples and tips to help us on this journey.