Session Title: An Introduction to 21st Century Learning Skills
Timeframe: 25 minutes (more if you get hooked)
- Objective 1 – Develop a basic understand of the concept of 21st Century Learning Skills
- Objective 2 – Analyze why integrating 21 Century Learning Skills into our pedagogy is essential.
- Objective 3 – Plan future personalized PD regarding the 4 C’s
1) Watch (12 min): ”Changing Paradigms of Education” by Sir Ken Robinson. Watch it below (or click here if you can’t access YouTube – TED Talks)
- Reflect While You Watch: Jot down your thoughts in reference to the following two questions pertaining to the information from the video.
- Identify 3 priorities of schools in the 19th and 20th Centuries.
- Identify 3 “new” priorities schools must embrace in the 21st Century
2) Read (10 min): “The 21st Century Learning Skills Overview” Click here to download and read.
- Reflect While You Read: What are the 4 C’s and why are they essential?
3) Post (3 min): In the comment section below, post your response to the following questions.
- Write the MVP (most valuable point) from today’s learning.
- Share a lesson idea that leverages a 21st Century Learning Skill
- State which skill you plan to learn about during the next session.
Bonus Extension Activities:
- Evaluate Instruction: Reflect on a recent lesson you delivered and evaluate it based on the NYSUT Rubric using the following the Cheat Sheet. Click here to view rubric indicators relevant to 21st Century Learning Skills.
- Dig Deeper: Visit the 21st Century Learning Skills video archive on this blog.
- See It In Action: Watch the video “The Four C’s: Making 21st Century Learning Happen“. Click below to view this video.