The Athena High School Mission: “Our graduates will be prepared for success in college and career in the 21st century.”
Thought to Ponder: “College and career readiness is NOT about all students attending four-year colleges or universities; its about access to the middle class.” I came across a great thought this week from The Future Ready Project and was profoundly impacted by the power of this statement. Our goal is not to get students to fit into a certain box or role. Rather, we are seeking to ensure that all of our students are equipped with the tools and options necessary to help them achieve success. For most students that will involve further education of some sort, beyond Athena. For some it will take the form of apprenticeships or internships. For others it will involve military service. For all students it must involve four years of high school that prepares them for college and careers in the 21st century.
Article of the Week: This week you will find an article in your mailbox titled “College and Career Readiness and Economic Competitiveness”. Take the time to look this document over and familiarize yourselves with the current economic realities that face our students when they leave us. They are entering a very different world then the one that we faced leaving high school.
Need to Know:
- May 13th is the Last PLC Meeting – This week you will have time to wrap up your last CFA Cycle and complete the last Check Point 3 Rubric of the year.
- Turn Check Point 3 Into Your Administrator by Friday May 16th – This will be done on Tuesday with your PLC Team. It will be used to compare to your prior Check Point 3 from earlier in the year and determine next steps
- AP Exams Continue – Do not allow anyone out of your classroom unless it is an emergency.
- Wear a College Shirt on 5.22 Day – Help promote college and career readiness on our 5.22 day by wearing college gear.
Nice to Know:
- Athena Student Faith Gruver Wins Congressional Art Competition – Click here for the details.
- 5 Ways Ed Pays – Click here to view an incredible infographic video that aligns with the new college and career readiness posters in the commons area. Consider showing this to your class if you have 2 extra minutes.
- Field Testing on May 21 – We will have a few classes taking NYS field tests. Information will come from Susan soon.
- Exam Week Calendar – Click here for this year’s June exam calendar.
- Staff Meeting Calendar – Click here to view the staff meeting calendar for the rest of the year.
- Important Year End Dates – Click here for the updated list of important dates to end the year.
- Independent Course Proposals – These are due by June 1st.
We only have 25 more days of school with students! Finish strong!