The Athena High School Mission: “Our graduates will be prepared for success in college and career in the 21st century.”
Article of the Week: This week you will find an article in your mailbox titled “The Future of the U.S. Workforce”. The website www.Acheive.org recently published three reports on the future demands of colleges and careers as we move further into the 21st Century. Our mission is to ensure that each of our students is prepared for success in the 21st Century workforce. We therefore have a moral imperative to be aware of how the demands of the 21st Century are changing. Consequently we also have a responsibility to continue to reflect on and change our practice to ensure it aligns with these demands. Please take the time to review the two page summary of these reports and in particular, familiarize yourself with the four major findings that this extensive research has brought to light.
Summary of the Research on the Demands of the 21st Century Workforce:
- Finding #1 – The U.S. workforce will require more education and skills in the near future that it has now
- Finding #2 – Low skills jobs provide few opportunities for advancement or security
- Finding #3 – The skills mismatch is real
- Finding #4 – There are many pathways to middle and high skill jobs, but education and training beyond high school is the common denominator
Need to Know:
- May 6th is a PLC Meeting – Over the next 2 weeks you will have time to wrap up your last CFA Cycle, develop your PLC Team Presentation (click here for details) and complete the last Check Point 3 Rubric of the year.
- Teacher Appreciation Day – Tuesday we will celebrate all the hard work each of you do with pizza and snack in the Commons Area after school… everyone will be able to carve out 15 minutes of the PLC Time to come grab some grub.
- AP Exams Begin Next Week – Do not allow anyone out of your classroom unless it is an emergency.
Nice to Know:
- Exam Week Calendar – Click here for this year’s June exam calendar.
- Staff Meeting Calendar – Click here to view the staff meeting calendar for the rest of the year.
- Important Year End Dates – Click here for the updated list of important dates to end the year.
- Independent Course Proposals – These are due by June 1st.
Enjoy the weekend… we only have 30 more days of school with students!