The Athena High School Mission: “Our graduates will be prepared for success in college and career in the 21st century.”
Asking the Tough Question: Are we ensuring that our students are truly prepared for success in college and careers in the 21st century? The teacher leaders, counselors and administrators have been reading the book “College and Career Ready” by David Conley to continue to develop our understanding of what is required to make our school mission a reality. After reading a section of this book I overheard one teacher say, “We do a really good job of helping students get into a college, but we need to do a better job of getting them ready to do well in college.” We are currently undertaking a significant shift as we seek to push past a focus on high school completion, to college and career readiness. In your mailboxes you will find a 3 page excerpt from this book with a list of general characteristics and skills that a high school must ensure each student masters in order to be ready for success in college and career. I am convinced you will find this an interesting read. You may notice that there are things listed you already help your students learn. You will also find other skills and ideas that you may want to integrate into your instructional planning.
Need to Know:
- Tuesday is a PLC Team Meeting – Continue to work on the next CFA and Data Analysis process.
- New Email System Coming Next Month – April 22nd we will receive training on a new Email System called Microsoft Outlook. We will switch over to the new system later that week. More details to come.
- Wear Your ID at All Times – Not only is this Board of Education Policy, it helps our security staff identify you when you arrive and makes stopping non staff members easier.
- RG&E Power Shut Down – On April 15th all power to this building will be shut down for the day.
- Sub Folders – Make sure you leave current attendance rosters in your sub folder. Also, check to ensure that the sub took attendance the day after you are out.
- Flipped Classroom PD Session Videos – Click here to view the session offered by Mr. Mock and Mr. Lynch on how they leverage the Flipped Classroom in their instruction.
- Support GEF – If you don’t support the Greece Education Foundation, consider a $1 per pay period donation. You won’t miss a $1 donation and 100% of the donations return to Greece teacher classrooms. See Anna Christopher if you would like to support this great organization.
- Updated Regents Exam Schedule – Click here for the most current schedule.
Nice to Know:
- Miss Saigon is Incredible – Check out one of the performances and promote it with your students.
- News 8 Bright Spot Video – Click here to view the 2 minute video previewing our musical this year. Show it to your class.
- The Robotics Club Competes at RIT This Weekend – Click here to watch the competition live.
- Alumni Bright Spot Video – Click here to watch a video from our recent alumni visit from Richard Yoneoka, Class of 1988. He is the acting US Ambassador to The Gambia. Last week he spent time with our students.
- Louise Slaughter’s Pictures from Athena Visit – Click here to view pictures from last weeks assembly with Rep. Slaughter. These are the pictures she posted online.
- Summer Scheduling Job Posting – Click here is you would like to apply for one of the summer scheduling positions.
- Right Reason Technologies Update – Click here for an update on the many uses and benefits available to you in your classroom for review and Regents Exam preparation.
- NHS Students Serve the Community – NHS Students logged over 1530 hours of community service during the first semester alone. We have great students.
- Zone Printing Coming Soon – Next month zone printing will go into effect. If you have questions see Jason.
Thank you for all you continue to do each and every day. You are truly one of the key catalysts that is transforming the lives of your students. Keep up the great work!