Our first full week is now under our belts. I have now had the privilege of dropping into most of your classrooms and offices and have been impressed by the passion with which each of you are tackling the new school year. The students seem to have settled into the new schedule well and many of the kinks have been worked out. We recognize that there are still some areas to improve upon and we continue to be grateful for your feedback and input. I love being a prt of such an incredible and resilient team of professionals. As you have probably noticed over the past several years, I sign my emails with the tag line “Forward Together”. I truly believe that this phrase perfectly describes what we are doing at Athena. We are progressing forward, tackling challenges, and surmounting barriers to ensure that all of our students learn at high levels. But more importantly, we are doing this together. We are become a high performing team and I am excited to see where this journey will take us. Here are the things you should be aware of as we head into week number three.
Need to Know:
- Tuesday is a PLC Team Meeting: We will meet at 2 as PLC teams to continue our PLC Progression. You will get specific directions from your administrator on Monday or Tuesday. We will be laying the foundation for the year by revisiting the work of the past 2 years. We will recommit to our team norms, curriculum map and essential learning standards. Click here for an updated PD Calendar,
- PLC Teams: You will continue to work with those colleagues who teach the same courses as you. Special Education teachers will be joint the core are PLC Teams. We will send a list of teams and members out on Monday. If you have concerns or questions speak with your administrator. Click here to review the PLC Progression and related documents we will continue to be using.
- School Improvement Plan: Click here to view the current draft of our School Improvement Plan. Collaboratively developed through AIT by parents, students and staff, this document will guide our work this year as we tackle the Reform Agenda. There are 3 goals with many action steps, everyone in e school will play a role and have responsibilities to make the plan a success.
- Adults in the Halls – Collective Commitment: Please remember to be in the halls before school, during passing time and at dismissal. The PBIS team is tracking the number of adults in the halls. This week during random sweeps, we averaged 15 adults in the halls. We would like to get this number over 50.
- Consistent Response to Behavior – Collective Commitment: Make sure you document on your referrals the three steps you took prior to writing the referral. 1st offense = conversation with student, 2nd offense = communicate with parent, 3rd offense = teacher consequence (ie. detention), 4th offense = referral.
- Curriculum Night on September 18th: We will start at 6:30 and finish around 8:30. Please remind students and parents all week. We would like a strong turnout. Also, wear your ID Badges and consider sharing your syllabus or course summary. If you have a club or group and want a table in the commons area let Mel know.
- Spirit Week Pep Assembly: We will end the day on Friday with our annual fall pep assembly. Stay tuned for more details from Amy McCabe next week.
- Homecoming Game: Please consider joining us at 2 pm on Saturday and support our student athletes.
- Support Staff Responsibilities: Click here for a list support staff and their current areas of responsibility.
- WeMoCo Students: Students who go to afternoon WeMoCo must be released from class by 11:15. They are responsible for missed work.
- Display Parking Decal: Starting Monday, security will be monitoring parking. Make sure your car has the decal properly displayed. Students should only be parking in the parking spot with their assigned number.
Nice to Know:
- Academic Center and Twilight Academy: I received the annual summary of the impact of Right Reason Technology yesterday from the company. Athena saw the most students enrolled and the most credits recover using this technology last year out of our entire district. If you see any of the Twilight or Reading teachers let them know how much we appreciate what they do.
- Freshman Ignition Success: All but 5 freshman attended our annual Freshman Ignition. Melanie and Melanie did a tremendous job putting this great event together.
- Athena eNews for Week 2: Click here to read the eNews post sent to our parents this week. It includes a wide range of information about our school community.
- Leadership and Extra Curricular Positions: Click here for a list of all the club advisors, inventory people and building.
- Spirit Week: Please join in the fun next week and dress up in your PJ’s, relive the 80’s and celebrate with our students throughout the week. Click here for details.
- Copy Aide: We have been interviewing to replace various support staff that retired or resigned at the end of the summer. We currently do not have a copy aide. We have just completed interviews and hope to have a candidate hired in the next week or two.
- Teacher Leader Presentation: Click here to review information from the Teacher Leader Presentation.
Have a fantastic spirit week!