A Note from the Principal:
Our goal at Athena High School is to ensure that all students learn at high levels and are equipped with the skills and knowledge for success in college and careers in the 21st century. Although we continually discuss with our students the various requirements for graduation, the 22 credits and 5 exams needed to walk the stage are the bare minimum as defined by The New York State Department of Education
We are not satisfied with the bare minimum. As a school community, we are choosing to set the bar higher. At Athena, we value not only graduation, but are seeking to truly challenge and push each of our students to leave with not only a diploma in hand, but also the skills necessary to be college and career ready. To this end we will continue to develop our understanding of the research on exactly what these skills are and how we help all of our students develop the tools necessary to master these skills.
Every Student at Athena Should Take at Least One College Level Course: We know that students who complete a dual credit course or an AP course are more well prepared for the rigors of college and therefore we want every student to try at least one of these more challenging courses over the course of their time at Athena. Although we do not begin course requests until December, everyone should begin thinking about which kind of challenging course they will be signing up for when counselors begin meeting with students to discuss course requests. Additionally, when these courses get difficult, many students tend to want to drop. We are asking you as parents to support us in encouraging your student to stick it out and fight through the difficulties and challenges that a more rigorous course brings.
Every Student at Athena Should Take the PSAT by 11th Grade: Admission into most colleges requires an SAT score. The PSAT is a great way to prepare for this test. We offer it at Athena each fall, during the school day. The cost is only $20 and it provides an excellent opportunity to practice for the SAT at a very low cost. Athena makes no money off of this exam, as entire fee goes to cover the cost of the exam. Stay tuned for more information on this opportunity.
Together we can raise the bar and ensure that each and every one of our students leaves Athena equipped for success in college and career when they leave our school community.
Jason Gianotti, Principal
School Community Updates:
- Curriculum Night – Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, September 18 at 6:30. You will be able to follow your student’s schedule, meet their teachers, and learn about all of the positive things going on around Athena.
- Practice Exams – Chariot Learning is now offering free practice tests for both ACT and SAT and free college admissions essay clinic this Fall at the Greece Public Library. Register here.
- Please join us at our first Greece Athena PTSA meeting this Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM in Room 272 (next to the HS Cafeteria). We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or input for the school and/or PTSA, plus you will be hearing what we are planning for this new school year. Hope you are able to attend this informative PTSA meeting.
- Also please see the web site for PTSA documents – there is a Parent Letter that explains the new PTSA year and then there is the membership/volunteer form. You can either mail in your membership payment or have your student bring it in to the Main Office. We will also have a table that you can also drop it off at the HS Curriculum Night nextWednesday, September 18th! Thank you for supporting our Athena PTSA!
- The cheerleading squad will be doing a craft show in December. If you or someone you know is interested in being a vendor at the show, please contact Melanie Williams.
- 9/11, Girls Tennis, vs. Irondequoit, Basil Marella Park,4:30pm
- 9/12, Girls Soccer, vs. Brockport, 4:30 pm
- 9/12, Girls Swimming, Olympia, 4:30 pm
- 9/12, Girls Tennis, vs. Spencerport, Basil Marella Park,4:30 pm
- 9/16, Girls Soccer, vs. Mercy, 4:30 pm
- 9/17, Boys Soccer, vs. Brockport, 4:30 pm
- 9/17, Cross Country, Northampton Park, 4:30 pm
- 9/18, Girls Soccer, vs. Spencerport, 4:30 pm
- 9/19, Girls Swimming, Olympia, 4:30 pm
- 9/20, Girls Soccer, vs. Hilton, 4:30 pm
- 9/20, Girls Volleyball, vs. Arcadia/Odyssey, 6 pm
- 9/21, Football, vs. Victor, 3 pm (HOMECOMING GAME)