Yesterday afternoon, despite plummeting temperatures and rising levels of precipitation, the Greece Athena Boys Track and Field team, featuring student-athletes from both Athena and Odyssey high schools, pulled out a season opening win against a cagey Spencerport team. With only one day of suitable outdoor weather on the actual track prior to the competition; many new student-athletes on both teams had to use the meet as an opportunity to try some new events or, in some cases, to actually participate in the activity for the first time.
- Senior Brian Smith winning the 100 and 200 meters dashes, as well as anchoring both he 4 x 100 and 4 x 400 meter relays.
- Senior Keith Pease sweeping all three distance events (800, 1600 and 3200 meter runs), and anchoring the winning 4 x 800 meter relay.
- Sophomore Calvary Rogers ran to a third place finish in his debut 400m dash and was part of the winning 4 x 400m relay.
- All three boys’ relays (4 x 100m featuring Alex Weigand, Julio Santos and Tommy Love II; 4 x 400m; and the 4 x 800m with Mike Lauria, Cole Gublo, Hayden Nier) won, clinching the 79—58 closely contested team win for the Trojans.
There were also a number of solid field performances including:
- Sophomore Ke’on Peterkin tying for first place in the high jump on a very slippery surface. This unusual situation resulted in both Ke’on and the Spencerport athlete being awarded 4 points while the third place finisher earned the standard 1 point for his team.
- Sophomore Bradley Haag placing third in the Discus and senior Victorin Kothor throwing to a second place result in the Shot.
- Junior Basem Ashkar finished a third in the Long Jump and second to a strong Spencerport jump squad in the Triple Jump.
Many of the student-athletes, while not scoring, also contributed to the team win by demonstrating a willingness to try different events and assisting in running the first home meet of the season. A special thank you goes out to the Alex Diaz and Kyle Gorall who, in addition to running hard in their respective races, assisted in keeping score of the meet at a very wet clerking table
The Trojan Track & Field team’s next Varsity competition will be on Wednesday, April 17, against a very good Gates-Chili team (that bested Hilton in its first meet of the season on the same day)! The Junior Varsity team will also participate in its first meet next Friday at the beautiful East Irondequoit facility.