As you continue to explore the new NYSUT rubric that is the basis for the new teacher evaluation you will notice the phrase 21st Century Learning Skills shows up quite frequently. In fact under many indicators it is a differentiating descriptor between developing and effective or highly effective. Over the coming months and years we will continue to learn about and integrate into our instruction. This post however, is intended to offer a simple description of the concept of 21st Century Learning Skills and help begin our journey down this path. All of this information comes from the http://www.p21.org website.
Simple Description: The skills, knowledge and expertise students must master to succeed in work and life in a globally interconnected society.
21st Century Core Themes:
- Global Awareness
- Financial, Economic, Business & Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Civic Literacy
- Health Literacy
- Environmental Literacy
21st Century Core Skills
Learning and Innovation Skills:
- Creativity & Innovation
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Communication & Collaboration
Life and Career Skills:
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Inititive & Self Direction
- Social & Cross-Cultural Skills
- Productivity & Accountability
- Leadership & Responsibility
Information, Media & Technology Skills:
- Information Literacy
- Media Literacy
- Information, Communication & Technology Literacy (ICT)
2 Page Summary Sheet: Click here for a summary.
21st Century Skills Maps: Click here for content specific maps with examples, activities and content alignment.