NYSED has put forth the following objectives for the beginning of adoption of the Common Core Standards this year.
- Develop awareness, fluency and common language supporting the CCS
- Implement on CCS aligned unit in every classroom by end of first semester
- Observe and give evidence based feedback on CCS Units
- Compare student work from CCS aligned unit with exemplars from the state
- Plan professional development based on identified areas of challenge
- Create action plan for spring semester
Obviously this is a pretty ambitious plan. The state has assured us that we have this first year to work through and learn how to implement the new CCS. Starting in September of 2012 we are expected to fully implement the CCS. I know this is daunting. We will be working through this together.